There are many various housing alternatives and assistance that may be taken into account for your particular requirements if you’re seeking housing possibilities. The National Disability Insurance Scheme funds supported independent living and specialised disability housing as two choices. You should be well informed about what you anticipate from your housing support if one or both of these alternatives are part of your NDIS plan.

The term “supported independent living” (SIL) means what?

NDIS funding options include assistance for supported independent living (SIL). These services are offered to those who have physical or mental limitations and wish to live as independently as possible. The SIL programme can assist a disabled person who is unable to live alone or with their family. Their chance to get the assistance they require in a shared house is made possible through SIL.

They are given the chance by SIL to live independently, have a great social life, and get the assistance they require. Daily assistance is provided to residents of SIL with personal care activities including bathing and clothing. Additionally, it covers chores around the house including meal preparation, shopping, and cleaning. Furthermore, it aids with medical requirements like administering and controlling medicines. While encouraging people to live as independently as possible, SIL tries to assist individuals in developing their unique abilities.

NDIS Disability Services in Melbourne

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) – what is it?

For people who need specialised housing options, Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) offers accommodations. Individuals who require considerable help owing to severe functional disability are eligible for SDA. SDA is a term used to describe the house or apartment where the person in need would reside.

Support services are not the intended recipient of SDA monies. The money will be used to pay for the place where the assistance will be given. Depending on their specific circumstances, the beneficiaries might either live alone or in a shared residence. Additionally, they may pick the housing options that best suit their demands and preferences.

What is the distinction between SIL and SDA?

SDA may be specially created housing for persons with high needs or adapted existing housing, both of which are situated in areas where it is possible to obtain sophisticated or pricey resources that aid the resident in living independently. In contrast, SIL refers to the on-site assistance and support services for everyday life that aid in enhancing housemates’ capacity for self-sufficiency.

SDA and SIL will be reimbursed separately in your plan if you need both specially built or adapted housing and assistance with daily living. Having access to the SIL supports of your choice while living in a space that meets your requirements provides you with additional options. Your ability to switch support services without leaving your SDA-funded accommodation is made possible by the funds being segregated. If you decide to relocate, you will have to reapply for SDA support.

To hear and comprehend your needs, Sparrow Care offers a consultation with no commitment to the convenience of your home. They’ll provide you with the finest options for your assistance needs, which you may freely explore, select, and manage.